I love Laura Lee Gulledge. She is the writer and illustrator of the debut graphic novel “Page By Paige.” I love this interview, and I love that she mentions My So Called Life! She says that she has felt like, she is on an island, referring to the type of art she does, and not many people can categorize her. I can so relate to that statement, as well as her art in general. Enjoy the clip!
This video is so cute. Oh and the song is rad.
Hello there! Well, it has been a while since I have posted anything, and I think a mostly positive update is in order:
1. I am so excited for my brother. He got into grad school for media studies. Woohoo! Go go Amy’s brother!
2. I signed up for a real Spanish class (not online). I am stressed about it. That is all.
3. I’m still working.
4. I’m still going to therapy.
5. I signed up for This. The first month was spectacular.
6. Discovering new music, as always. This time I’ve been led to The Decemberist’s 2010 album, and I rediscovered Tom Petty’s Wildflower album as well as an REM Collection CD (1982-2011) It’s so so Sweet!!!
7. I am reading a book called Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time. It’s an amazing and transforming book for me to read.
8. One of my sunflowers came up! It’s beautiful! It’s red (it’s an autumn mix of seeds).
So there’s my happy update 🙂
And since this blog has a focus on wellness, I want to take this time to remind myself, and yourself, that living a life of wellness is important. There are so many things I can list here: getting enough exercise, eating the right foods, reading good books, working hard, being keeping your commitments and being social,forming positive connections, living simple and tidy, personal hygiene, etc. It can be overwhelming, there’s so many things. Just keep at it. And remember to relax and zone out everyday. I believe that that is also a part of being well 🙂
So, be well.
Here’s what I usually think a “Real” artist should be (note: I really only apply this to myself)
1. Studies art technique
2. Loves the great old masters
3. Is gaga over their own art, 24/7
4. Is inspired, 24/7
None of these things are really me. But you know what? I still like creating art. I like to express my emotions with paint, I like to cartoon in pen, I listen to music while I do it. Doing these things centers me. I usually don’t put the effort in to get REALLY good at figure drawing, I wish I did but I don’t, and I do alright. I get excited about crafty projects like kits and workshops about anything and everything I don’t normally do like pottery, stone carving, sculpture, bookbinding, art journaling, etc. I don’t always enjoy making art, sometimes I am soo bored doing it, so I stop and do something else. But I am an artist, and this is my unique DNA. I am not like anyone else, just like you.
So I had a conversation with someone yesterday about hobbies, and my seemingly never-ending saga of a question, “How do you know what you are doing is the right thing for you?” My friend told me this. he said that once he stopped caring about what other people thought, and really looked inside himself and sat with it, he came to realize what his true interests and passions are (to him, that’s cars, 80s toys, and vintage and military items, among other things).
Last night, during this convo, I had a breakthrough. I really like watching good TV (Some of my favs: the award shows, Conan, The Office, Gilmore Girls, My So-Called Life, 30 Rock, Mad Men, Six Feet Under) I have not admitted this ever…or, at least not since High School. I always felt like it was something shameful, or, not to be admitted that I like doing more than say, reading…cuz that would make me seem estupido? But there you have it. I am a boob tube lover!
Hello! Lot’s of stuff going on, not enough motivation (and balls) to write it!
My brother has the digital camera, and he’s has it for a while. I need to get it back!
I want to show you my sketchbook!